Get the Benefits, Avoid the Traps of Remarketing
Remarketing remains a clever way to connect with your website visitors who did not make a purchase or fill out a lead form. Based on parameters you define, remarketing positions targeted ads to previous website visitors as they view other websites on the Internet. This can be an extremely effective branding advertising tactic to keep your business top of mind with potential customers who are shopping but not yet ready to buy. For any business using online advertising as part of their marketing strategy, remarketing offers the opportunity promote brand awareness and capture leads even after a potential customer has left your website. Used correctly, remarketing is a powerful tool. But are you doing remarketing wrong?
Before we get into the traps that some marketers fall into regarding remarketing, here’s a brief overview of the benefits this tactic offers:
1. Brand Exposure – The more a potential customer is exposed to a brand, the more likely they will buy when the decision is made to complete a purchase.
2. Higher Conversion Rates – This greater form of brand exposure typically yields higher conversion rates for display advertising campaigns.
3. Better ROI – Improved conversion rates translate to a faster Return-on-Investment and a lower cost-per-sale.
4. Audience Targeting – Remarketing efforts are enhanced by targeting specific audiences based on their interests or demographics, or by events such as shopping cart abandonment.
5. Flexible Budget – There are many options and price points available to offer remarketing to your online advertising. The amount you want to spend is flexible and within your control. When considering the cost of a remarketing campaign, take into account the final goal whether it be branding or conversion as that will have a significant impact on your budget.
Are You Falling Into these Remarketing Traps?
So you have created a remarketing campaign, targeted your audience, and set a budget. But as your campaign runs something isn’t quite right. As with all online campaigns, there are ways to improve results. Here are some of the pitfalls you may be encountering:
- Marketing to One Audience or Very Broad Categories – While this isn’t inherently incorrect, consider the final goal. If broad based branding is the goal this approach is fine. If the goal is more defined, narrowing targets is the key. What pages were visited? How much time did most visitors spend on the website or on a page? What were the geographic locations of these visitors? Consider behavioral segmentation (that is, segment audiences based on categories/interests, actions taken on the website, page visit history, etc.)?
- Ad Repetition/Fatigue – Showing the same ad over and over again can annoy users. It is important to create multiple ads, pay attention to frequency, and know what sites the ads appear on. Marketing automation platforms such as ActiveDEMAND reduce ad fatigue by automating the process with dynamic audiences. ActiveDEMAND implements real-time segmentation, adjusting remarketing audience lists – thus adjusting what ads are appearing based on the buyer journey. Why continue to show – and pay for – ads about a product or service the customer has already purchased?
- Not Customizing Ads –Using behavioral data, the right automation platform and proper remarketing configurations, marketers can get the full advantage of remarketing by getting the ad right at the right frequency to the prospect, at the most opportune time in their buyer journey.
Setting up a remarketing campaign is relatively easy. Creating a remarketing campaign that offers a strong return on investment can be challenging but understanding the rules and using marketing automation platforms like ActiveDEMAND help improve performance and reach your clients’ goals.
Automate Your Marketing with ActiveDEMAND!
ActiveDEMAND is an integrated marketing automation platform designed specifically to help businesses generate more leads. ActiveDEMAND includes all the tools required to deploy online marketing campaigns. Try it for free today!